December 4, 2008

Amazing Day

Today, Lindsey and I went to a homeless food center in Clarksville called Loaves and Fishes. Lindsey had to go there for a class and not wanting to go alone, I volunteered to tag along. As we were walking in the door, I am not going to lie I was very nervous and scared! We were in line to eat, but were overwhelmed with guilt when we looked around and saw people with 3 or 4 plates of food. We both decided to just find a spot to sit and take everything in. Lindsey did snag some awesome sweet tea! We found a spot and began talking to the people around us. One man asked us if we were excited and ready for Christmas. We both said yes and he replied with "It's just another day!" Wow! That really put me in my place! Christmas is a very exciting time for me with the chance to get to be with family and get a few new things. More importantly it's about our Savior that was welcomed to this world! It is so much more than another day for me, but for him nothing was going to change! He left to go to work for a man, but another man was sitting at the end of the table so we began to talk to him. He asked us if we knew if Austin Peay had a center for people to come and write and share writings. We didn't know because we both spend all of our time in one building only! What fun! We asked him about his writings and he pulled a few from his bag. Let me just say...THEY WERE AWESOME! Several times, both me and Lindsey got teary eyed. It was like we were reading his inner most thoughts. It was so neat, sad, humbling, funny, so many emotions! I can't remember a lot of what he wrote, which really makes me mad! If I would have gone straight to the computer I would still know it. I should written it down! I remember bits and pieces of them though. He said, "Homeless has no race, no creed." and "Finding places to sleep, sometimes an abandoned house. Jealous of a cat or dog because at least they have a home and someone to cuddle." It was such an amazing humbling experience! I am so thankful for the life that I live and the things that I have. It is all taken for granted! Thank you Lindsey for not wanting to go alone so that I got the chance to have such an eye opening experience!

No comments: